Re: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 20:41:10 +0300

* Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> [2022-10-27 14:23]:

> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > * Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> [2022-10-25 15:14]:
> >>
> >> This wish request is related to Emacs EWW and Org mode.
> >>
> >> Please make EWW recognize Org file when served by WWW server. Currently
> >> it does not recognize the MIME type text/x-org and opens the file as
> >> text, it does not invoke the org mode. In my opinion, it should.
> >
> > Now is clear that main problem here is that Org advertises somewhere
> > to be "text" in MIME context, while it is not, it is by default
> > "application" and thus unsafe, see:
> >
> > Application Media Types
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.5
> >
> > and understand difference to:
> >
> > Text Media Types
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.1
> >
> > Thus I suggest that Org changes its MIME type and stop falsely
> > claiming to be "text" in MIME context, but that content type:
> > "application/x-org" become adopted, as that way it will become clear
> > that it is unsafe opening Org as falsely claimed "plain" text.
>
> You are mixing up text/plain and text/*. Orgmode is clearly text/* but
> not text/plain. From your link:

How do I mix it?

>    Beyond plain text, there are many formats for representing what might
>    be known as "rich text".  An interesting characteristic of many such
>    representations is that they are to some extent readable even without
>    the software that interprets them.  It is useful to distinguish them,
>    at the highest level, from such unreadable data as images, audio, or
>    text represented in an unreadable form.  In the absence of
>    appropriate interpretation software, it is reasonable to present
>    subtypes of "text" to the user, while it is not reasonable to do so
>    with most non-textual data.  Such formatted textual data can be
>    represented using subtypes of "text".

Org is not just rich text for reason as explained here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.5 so I
suggest reading it.

Examples of content types for some "rich" text formats:

.odt    OpenDocument text document
application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text

.rtf    Rich Text Format (RTF)  application/rtf

.xhtml  XHTML   application/xhtml+xml

xml     XML     application/xml is recommended as of RFC 7303 (section
4.1), but text/xml is still used sometimes. You can assign a specific
MIME type to a file with .xml extension depending on how its contents
are meant to be interpreted. For instance, an Atom feed is
application/atom+xml, but application/xml serves as a valid default.

Review definition of "application/*" type.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman