Re: Error opening an .org file

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Error opening an .org file
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 17:50:43 +0200

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 05:11:32PM +0200, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> When I try to open a simple file in emacs, I receive this error
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/Users/renatopontefice/.emacs.d/init.el’:
>
> Invalid read syntax: ), 1, 0

I don't understand: this error complains about 'init.el', does
not happen at start, but much later, when you try to open an
.org file?

> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable showing
> Disable logging

Have you tried starting Emacs with that option? What happens
then?

> So the prob is on my init.el file. What error it could be?

We can only guess. Given our lack of information, our guesses
will be almost certainly wrong :-)

So give us a chance:

 - try starting Emacs with --debug-on-init, an possibly report
   results here
 - try bisecting the file: remove parts of it (always taking
   care of the syntax), see in which "half" the error occurs
 - post your init.el here (BE CAREFUL: please, double-check
   that it doesn't contain sensitive information: passwords,
   personal information, things your employer could consider
   to be trade secrets, that kind of stuff).

Cheers