Re: Best android app

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Best android app
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 23:56:15 +0700

On 20/10/2022 06:46, Jean Louis wrote:
* Max Nikulin [2022-10-19 15:53]:

The person may be already familiar with that non-free apps. We had
a chance to ask about features missed in free applications and actual
experience. Perhaps the same tasks may be performed in a bit different
and less obvious way and no modification of Org and Co is required.
However you insist that we have to through away such possibilities and
adding outcome from such conversations to web site is prohibited, so it
makes it significantly harder to use obtained information in later
discussions.

Better balanced position is necessary otherwise it would be just weakness in
communication with people who do not care if some software is free.

Then such people have the chance to learn what is free software. Their
weakness is not to know what it is.

I mean weakness of free software proponents. People will learn nothing if they meet just unreasonably harsh reaction or absence of convincing arguments.

I find it unfortunate that some people create proprietary software
that uses Org files.

It sounds like you regret about absence of a kind of vendor lock. File
formats and communication protocols must be free. There are enough examples
when free software can not be developed due to lack of specifications. Why
would you expect cooperation from vendors if you wish to have fences at your
side in similar cases?

Vendor:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Vendor

My mistake is that precise term should be "vendor lock-in". I am not a native English speaker, but I believe that the word "vendor" was used properly. I meant namely vendors, not suppliers.

You have misunderstood the idea. I have never mentioned "absence of a
kind of vendor lock" or similar.

So let us close that discussion and keep creating free software.

You expressed that you do not like that some proprietary software uses Org file. Such position is mirroring behavior of software vendors that are trying to prevent usage of file formats by other developers (vendor lock-in). More people considering restrictions on file formats acceptable means more obstacles for development of free software.