Re: [off-topic] E-readers and Org-Mode

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [off-topic] E-readers and Org-Mode
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:37:04 +0700

On 23/10/2022 22:16, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:

As I am beginning to have serious eye fatigue problems, I am thinking of
buying an e-ink device, not to read books but to read documents. My idea
is that it be an Android device and that it supports the installation of
apk, to be able to install Termux/Emacs/Org-Mode and Nextcloud to sync
with my desktop PC or my laptop.

E-ink displays are slow (my device was manufactured 15 years ago but I do not expect dramatic improvement), so applications should be heavily optimized to provide acceptable experience. I do not think that Emacs is suitable.

The wonderful property of reflective display is that its brightness follows ambient conditions. (Almost) direct sunlight during image refresh (page switching) may cause low contrast noisy image. A workaround is to move the book into shadow or close cover for a moment. For static image bright light is not a problem.

I am curious if pdf-tools is able to display annotations created on devices with stilus.