Re: Formatting in citation locator

From: András Simonyi
Subject: Re: Formatting in citation locator
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:44:43 +0200

Dear All,

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 at 07:23, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> M. ‘quintus’ Gülker <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu> writes:
> > Thanks for the hint, but it does not work still even if I change the
> > line to contain the said zero-width space:
> > The buffer is now fontified as expected, but it does not work when
> > exported to HTML:
> No. It is some bug in org-cite-csl--create-structure.
> I am CCing the oc-csl maintainer.
> András, can you please take a look?

first of all, apologies for reacting that late. I had a look now, and
the reason of the behaviour is not an oc-csl bug, but rather a
citeproc-el limitation: formatting is not supported in locators, so if
present it is passed in an unparsed form through the processor and it
depends on the used citeproc output formatter what happens to it
during finalization. In practice, Org markup seems to go through
unchanged when the citeproc output format is set to Org. As a
consequence, a possible workaround for making the html export work
with formatted locators is to circumvent the citeproc-el html
formatter by exporting the Org document first to Org and then the
result to html. Of course, this solution might lose some advanced html
formatting produced by directly using citeproc such as small caps or
style-specific bibliography indentation.

Best wishes,
András