Re: Weird behavior of org-element-object-lex

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Weird behavior of org-element-object-lex
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 05:27:41 +0000

Damien Cassou <damien@cassou.me> writes:

> here is the beginning of `org-element-object-lex`:
>
>   (defun org-element--object-lex (restriction)
>     "Return next object in current buffer or nil.
>   RESTRICTION is a list of object types, as symbols, that should be
>   looked after.  This function assumes that the buffer is narrowed
>   to an appropriate container (e.g., a paragraph)."
>     (cond
>      ((memq 'table-cell restriction) (org-element-table-cell-parser))
>      ((memq 'citation-reference restriction)
>       (org-element-citation-reference-parser))
>      (t …)))
>
> From what I understand, if `restriction` includes 'table-cell (or
> 'citation-reference), and if the content isn't a table-cell,
> `org-element--object-lex` will immediately return nil without trying
> other object types.
>
> Is that a bug?

Not really. table-cell and citation-reference do not have a regexp
signature and are handled specially. For these two types of objects,
org-element--object-lex is called only when the parent is a table-row or
citation object. Not very elegant, but it is internal function, and it
works :)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,