Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 11:16:15 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> Another recipe should be used:
>
> | / | < |                                 > |
> |   | a | b @@latex:\rule[-1em]{0pt}{1em}@@ |
> |   | c | d                                 |
>
> I believe that a more convenient way to override [0pt] to some other
> length for particular row should exist, but I have no idea which
> syntax should be used.

I think this new recipe you propose works fine, although I haven't
done a thorough test yet. In principle, it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, now I remember that the package verse adds a series of extra
arguments to \\ (p. 6 in the documentation:
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/verse). As a user, the only way I can think of
to add arguments instead of [0pt] or \empty is by using a small export
filter to act on the final output. Perhaps putting something like
!!new-argument!! on the affected row/verse/line to guide the filter.

> As to tabulararray, I still consider it as an experimental package.
> Perhaps I will install a more modern container. I am curious what code
> handles \\[0pt]. Likely I should read docs to get impression related
> to design goals and approaches to implement them. The bug tracker of
> the project looks like an appropriate place to ask a question
> concerning \\ variant safe for dumb exporters.

Keep in mind that tabularray is a latex3 package and, in principle,
everything that is latex3 is here to stay. Certainly, it is a blessing
compared to the classic tabular environments, because it is tremendously
versatile. That is why it already has a significant number of users:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/tabularray

And Org already provides what is necessary to use its syntax. I've had a
first look at tabularray.sty, but I'm not familiar enough with the new
LaTeX 3 syntax and, frankly, I'm lost...

I've tried all the packages involved in tables that I can think of
(longtable, siunitx, tabularx, booktabs, array, and I don't know if I
forgot any) and in all of them the \empty solution works fine. It seems
that tabularray is the black sheep here.

> For a while I have the following question. Is \\{} have the same
> effect on tabularray parser as \\\empty?

Throw an error before \hline.