Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:42:10 +0530

Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org> writes:

> Good to hear.  Maybe you can provide early feedback when it hits the
> Hyperbole pre-release in the elpa-devel package archive (pre-releases of
> Hyperbole packaged up from the git master branch tip).

I'll be happy to! Unfortunately I'm not able to always follow this list,
so if possible, please let me know when you have something I can try
out.

> Yes.  It will search over many files and even recursive directories of
> files.  Org-roam has a good model for rapid searching, so we'll have to
> consider something similar.  It might not be in the first release but will
> come by the second major release.

Thanks! I've found that without instant/near-instant search the chain of
thought breaks easily (Thanks, ADHD!), so this one is quite important.

> Each note will have an optional datetime stamp which will be on by
> default.  If you care to make one note per day, you can do that.

Sounds good!

> Yes, that is the reason for desiring some kind of database-backed indexing.

Yes, but from your other email it appears this one is not going to
happen due to previous Emacs versions not having built-in sqlite. Have
you thought of any alternate way for achieving same performance without
any built-in database?

> Yes.  The idea is that you initially capture notes into a single default
> file and then can quickly refile them as needed.

While single default file sounds good, individual daily files are better
IME. Because the single file inevitably becomes too large, unwieldy and
generally not the best place to go through quickly.

>> In short, the framework takes care of organization and makes retrieval
>> easy and all I have to worry about is the content.
>>

> Yes, I think we typically do this throughout Hyperbole, as it is very
> important to us.

Thanks! Hyperbole has been really good experience so far, because of
practically zero config and batteries included approach. Better
integration with stock Emacs stuff like Org, Gnus and Dired is always
welcome.

Thanks a lot for working on Hyperbole and being responsive!