Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 01:18:56 +0300

* Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org> [2022-10-04 09:26]:
> Thanks, Jean.  We have started work on a note-taking subsystem for
> Hyperbole that will store UUIDs per note and will likely support backlinks
> too.  We are seeing if we can make it support Koutlines, Emacs Outlines,
> Org mode files and Markdown files, searching across all formats at the same
> time.  The default for creating new notes will likely be a personal
> Koutline file.

I understand Koutline to become something like store for notes. In my
case I use database as store. Please note that Emacs development
version has SQLite built-in, it is not really external package. And
having intentionally generic functions with drivers to store
information as text, as SQLite, PostgreSQL, etc -- is rather
beneficial, not detrimental. Text can be default, but it is not
scalable.

> We welcome brief summaries of features you need for effective note taking
> in Emacs.  We are not looking to do much with images or on mobile devices,
> just focused on people who spend a lot of time in Emacs and want an
> easy-to-use notes system that does not require any external packages like
> SQLite.

Me personally I do require external database. Maybe I work too much,
statistics may tell. Think about it, when there is external database,
one can access it through multiple users from multiple devices in the
world without storing (much) information on the used computer.

┌───────────────────────────────┬───────┐
│ Statistics for last 12 months │ Count │
├───────────────────────────────┼───────┤
│ People lists                  │   242 │
│ Emails sent                   │  3565 │
│ Hyperscope, new objects       │  9928 │
│ Hyperscope, objects sent      │  4147 │
│ Hyperscope objects tagged     │ 35642 │
│ Hyperscope, people related    │  4226 │
│ Mailings sent                 │ 30767 │
│ New People                    │  2293 │
│ People, tagged                │ 61099 │
│ SMS Sent                      │ 24493 │
│ New Tags                      │   410 │
└───────────────────────────────┴───────┘

The feature I need is specific to customizable Hyperbole buttons to be
able to detect if button was invoked by Hyperbole or not, as that way
I can make self-destructive hyperlinks or universal hyperlinks that
appear appropriately to lightweight markup language such as Org,
markdown, asciidoctor, etc.; or to have double or tripe directional
links depending of the context: activating link by Hyperbole could
show me details about person in the database, but exporting the same
link from Org mode could prepare Org links and "name" of person in the
Org link and it could activate person's website instead of personal
details.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns