Re: Confused about what the COMMENT keyword means

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Confused about what the COMMENT keyword means
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 09:00:51 +0200

Thanks for answering.

Ihor Radchenko writes on Tue 27 Sep 2022 09:55:
 > Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:
 >
 > > Hello.  I have the file:
 > >
 > >    * COMMENT foo
 > >    #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: foo.pdf
 > >    #+TITLE: foot
 > >    fofoo
 > >    * bar
 > >    #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: bar.pdf
 > >    #+TITLE: bart
 > >    babar
 >
 > #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME is an in-buffer export setting with global effect.
 > According to 13.2 Export Settings section of the Org manual,
 >
 >        In-buffer settings may appear anywhere in the file, either directly
 >     or indirectly through a file included using ‘#+SETUPFILE: filename or
 >     URL’ syntax.
 >
 > Because export settings are global, they have higher priority over the
 > COMMENTed heading.

OK, I can understand that but if, as I now see in 13.2, both TITLE and
EXPORT_FILE_NAME are export settings, why does it behaves as I expect
for TITLE (the title I get is indeed 'bart') but not for
EXPORT_FILE_NAME?

 > [...]

 > > By contrast, with this file
 > >
 > >    # * foo
 > >    # #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: foo.pdf
 > >    # #+TITLE: foot
 > >    # fofoo
 > >    * bar
 > >    #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: bar.pdf
 > >    #+TITLE: bart
 > >    babar
 >
 > This file contains no export settings.

I don't understand that: what about the line '#+EXPORT_FILE_NAME:
bar.pdf'??

 > # #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: foo.pdf line is not an export setting. It
 > does not matter that it is a comment,

Yes, of course; if it is a comment, it is as if it were not here at
all, correct?

 > I think that the manual is not clear enough about applying
 > in-buffer settings and keywords. We may want to clarify this
 > detail.

How about adding a sentence in 13.6, perhaps in the footnote?
Something like "Also note that, as mentioned in 13.2, export
settings, being global, take precedence over the 'COMMENT' keyword."

Finally, I'd appreciate a "SUPERCOMMENT" keyword, which would be
equivalent (when exporting) to removing the tree altogether (or, as I
understand, prepending '# ' to each line of the tree).

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr