Re: IM dev discussions?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: IM dev discussions?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 07:57:58 +0200

Hi Ihor,

> Maybe we can nicely ask moderators/active users of reddit/SO to redirect
> people to Org ML when appropriate? Similar to our current effort with
> contributor stewards.

That's a very good idea!

If these contributor stewards agree, we can even advertise their role
on https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html

> I think you are missing one important category of contributors --
> maintainers of third-party packages. I've got involved into several
> Org-related discussions on Github because I got @mentioned in some
> threads. My impression is that a number of package maintainers on Github
> actively cross-link issues between repos and try to resolve problems
> together. However, they rarely reach out to Org ML.

True that.

> Notably, I managed to communicate on GitHub simply using email.

I too.

> May we set a single account on GitHub and link it to Org ML so that
> people can @mention Org team on GitHub, and we automatically get the
> email directly to Org ML?

I'm against it: it will make it easier for Org ecosystem maintainers
on GitHub to send notifications to the Org ML without joining it while
probably forcing Org maintainers on the ML to follow-up discussions on
GitHub.  That's not a positive outcome.

What I suggest instead to do is to document GitHub accounts of Org
core maintainers on worg/org-maintenance.org for those who have one.

This way maintainers of Org libraries on GitHub will know they can @
these accounts in their issues.  And it will stay the responsability
of Org core maintainers to decide how to deal with these issues.

For some of them, it will just lead to a reply on the issue (as when
Org maintainers contribute to non-official Org spaces, like the Doom
or spacemacs discord servers); for issues that are of importance for
Org core development, we should suggest them to send an email to the
list.

WDYT?

--
 Bastien