Re: org-assert-version considered harmful

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: org-assert-version considered harmful
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:26:14 +0200

> I think that it will still be useful. In particular, consider major new
> feature development. We may take a longer delay between releases then.

Yes.

> The code I quoted explicitly removes the "-dev" part. Would you prefer
> to keep it?

Yes, let's keep it, otherwise (org-release) reads like a lie.

Why is it necessary to emit org-version.el?

We could have (defun org-version ...) and (defun org-git-version ...)
from within org.el, right?

Also, I don't think we need org-release: the info org-version provides
is enough to know if you are loading Org from a stable (ELPA) release
or from a local git repository.

WDYT?

> See the attached.

Tested and works fine, modulo the -dev part that we should keep.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien