Re: Opening of links

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Opening of links
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:08:24 +0800

Guillaume MULLER <guillaume.muller@emse.fr> writes:

> + [[file:~/test.pdf][PDF 1]]
> --------------
>
> When I click on the link with mouse1, the document is opened in Calibre. When
> I use mouse3, the document is opened in Emacs. I get a similar behavior with
> org-attached PDF documents: using 'o' will open them in Calibre, 'O' in Emacs.
>
> Such a behavior for mouse1/'o' raises 2 questions:
>
> - My OS settings are configured so that PDFs are opened in Evince. I
> configured this with "xfce4-settings-manager > Default Applications" (which
> runs "xfce4-mime-settings" under the hood) and it can be verified with
> "xdg-open test.pdf" or by opening Thunar and clicking on "test.pdf".
>    So, where in the world does org-mode/Emacs finds that it should use
> Calibre instead of Evince?
>
> - Now, I would like to circumvent this global OS behavior, so that Emacs
> itself would be used specifically to open PDF links in files I open in Emacs.
> When I was using Vanilla Emacs, I was advised to use pdf-tools, and given a
> config that was working. I translated that into my DoomEmacs config.org as
> follows:
>    (use-package! pdf-tools
>      :magic ("%PDF" . pdf-view-mode)
>      :config
>        (pdf-tools-install :no-query)
>      )
>    But apparently it does not override org's (default) behavior of opening
> PDF file with external tools.
>    Is there

See https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#Handling-Links
(search org-open-at-point). The app selection is controlled by
org-file-apps customization.

> Sorry for these (probably very) basic questions, but I could not find
> anything relevant on the web (or I haven't found the correct keywords...). I
> would be very grateful of any help!

No problem. This mailing list is open to all Org-related staff,
including basic questions. Do not hesitate to participate in the
discussion or ask anything.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,