line-number-at-pos performance and cache-long-scans

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: line-number-at-pos performance and cache-long-scans
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:21:54 +0700

On 23/09/2022 09:22, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Despite improvements since Emacs-26 in line counting, still I believe
that the `line-number-at-pos' function may still be excessively
expensive in real live when unconditionally used just for a bit nicer
logging.

May I ask if other Org operations are also slow in that problematic file
with many markers? If so, I do not think that we need to worry about
performance of `line-number-at-pos'. Rather we just wait for Emacs to
fix problems with markers. See the discussion in
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/jwvsfntduas.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org

Thank you for the link. It would be great if that branch were merged. My primary complain concerning line numbers is that there is no way to disable the feature.

Ihor, the following is not answer to your question. I am impressed by such observation, however it is not latest Emacs version and built-in Org that uses overlays, not text properties.

It seems, in the case of `line-number-at-pos' another "optimization" causes performance degradation by orders of magnitude, not markers as for conversion between byte offset and position in buffers. I have found a discussion of a change in Emacs-28 (So it is not clear for me why I see performance difference between Emacs-26 and 27, maybe more optimal code generated by newer gcc)
25.1.50; Feature Request -- A faster method to obtain line number at position.

I noticed `cache-long-scans' and tried to disable it.

If my document (4Mb, 100k lines) is open as .txt file in Emacs-26
getting line number at the end takes 0.03…0.04 s. If I enable org-mode the same operation requires 6s, but after

   (setq cache-long-scans nil)

0.006 s is enough to get the same line number. Enabling the cache again causes performance degradation by 3 orders of magnitude. Cache works to some extent because first call takes 12 s while following ones "only" 6 s.

I have not tried if disabling newline cache causes problems with other operation.