Re: Suggested Syntax for cancelled checkboxes: [-] as non-blocking depen

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Suggested Syntax for cancelled checkboxes: [-] as non-blocking dependency
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:19:01 +0200

    B> FWIW, I use this:

    B> - [X] +This task will probably be canceled+

    B> I don't think we should implement a new status for canceled
    B> tasks.

Such a workaround doesn’t work well for lists that are to be re-used
next time or cleared when the whole task is repeating and is switched to
done.  Checkboxes can always be cleared easily using a single
rectangular command if there is no automatic mechanism but how to clear
the + marks?

A typical example would be my checklist for items to take with when
traveling.  Some of the items are already in my bag, some must be
inserted there and some are not needed this time.  Using +strike
through+ is cumbersome, defining a command for it doesn’t feel good, and
there is the problem of clearing the marks when re-using the list next
time.  Well, I do not store that particular list in a task node so I can
use [-] freely but it’s still inconsistent with the actual meaning
defined by Org.  Not that big deal but it would be nice to have an
official way to mark an item as not-applicable / canceled and not
blocking finishing the task.