Re: [BUG] org-agenda-list takes 4m compared to 27 that took 15 seconds [

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-agenda-list takes 4m compared to 27 that took 15 seconds [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-25-gaf6f12 @ /usr/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/org/)]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:47:07 +0800

andrés ramírez <rrandresf@hotmail.com> writes:

>     Ihor> This does not make sense.  According to your profiler, you are
> still using an older
>     Ihor> version of org-in-src-block-p function. Can you please make sure
> that no obsolete .elc
>     Ihor> files are present in the Org distribution? (you can run make)
>
> My mistake. I attached the previous file. Sending now the correct file.

Thanks!

>     >> Just out of curiosity. which bug or improvement or new feature on
> agenda caused this delay on
>     >> showing the agenda buffer?.
>
>     Ihor> Previously, determining if diary sexp is located inside src block
> (and thus must not be
>     Ihor> considered a valid match) was done (incorrectly) relying on
> fontification. That bug has
>     Ihor> been fixed to ensure correctness at the cost of performance
> degradation.
>
> Too bad. On my case my agenda files does not have src-block's
> inside. could I set a variable telling it. For avoiding such penalty?.

No. This will be against Org syntax.
You may advice `org-agenda-skip' function let-binding
`org-in-src-block-p' to #'ignore. At your own risk.

Also, we may remove this check in future in favour of
more reliable `org-element-context'. But not yet. That function is
currently slower compared to `org-in-src-block-p'.

>     Ihor> It would be interesting to see the profiler results in emacs27.
>
> Sending the emacs27 profiler too. Do You think It would be relevant doing the
> same with emacs-28?

What do you mean? I thought that you were testing newest Org + emacs-28.

Comparing the profiler reports, I also noticed that an additional
overhead is coming from the new library loaded in org-modules.
We have added 'ol-doi default module. You may remove unused libraries
from org-modules to speed up the initial startup (there will be no
difference in agenda rebuild times).

I also pushed a couple of new small optimizations, according to your
profiler report. Can you try again with the latest main?

BTW, is your Emacs 28 using native-comp?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,