Re: org-assert-version considered harmful

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: org-assert-version considered harmful
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 05:13:50 +1000

>>> In my book step 3 above is a mistake (even if moved to step 2).
>> I am confused.
>> AFAIK, changing the load-path is a common way for users to install
>> packages manually.
>
> No, you're not confused, I just think that installing packages manually
> (including messing with `load-path` and writing `(autoload ...)` in your
> init file) is very last century :-)

but Emacs *is* last century! :-)

It is the fact we *can* manipulate load-path, autoloads and manually
control what is installed which makes it so powerful. See how far you
get when a core VS Code extension you rely on changes in a manner you
don't like and you want to revert to the previous version.

I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but I also do see some danger
in a future where we only interact with the well defined 'surface' layer
of software like Emacs and only a few hard core devs actually get into
crafting their init.el file.

It could be the reason we seem to be seeing an increase in the type of
issues which kicked this off is because fewer people are familiar with
manipulating load-path and autoloads, Less familiarity means less
familiarity with the common pitfalls and issues you may run into.