Re: Question about cite_export basic

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Question about cite_export basic
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:57:01 +0800

Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> writes:

>> For now, I reached Emacs devs asking to provide the parsing within
>> bibtex.el. See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57712
>> Lets see what they reply first.
>>

> Dear Ihor!
>
> Thank you for posting the BibTeX brace problem upstream. From what I can
> see by reading through the conversation, we are going down a rabbit
> hole. It seems to be pretty difficult to convert a BibTeX entry to a
> proper ascii string (I think this is what the basic export processor is
> doing). Is that true?
>
> Not sure how to proceed. I do not think that post processing
> `bibtex-parse-entry` output which seems to contain LaTeX code makes
> sense.

Parsing itself is not that hard, actually. We just need to follow
http://www.bibtex.org/SpecialSymbols/. However, it will be better if the
parsing is done on bibtex.el side.

If bibtex.el maintainer refuses to implement the request, we will just
do the parsing on Org side.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,