Re: Link-words with spaces, allowed or not?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Link-words with spaces, allowed or not?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 13:07:51 +0800

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Below, the documentation gives an example that defines a link-word
>
> "Nu Html Checker"
>
> that contains multiple words and invalid characters (spaces).
>
> That makes me wonder:
>
> - Does Org need updated to disallow spaces in link-words?

Strictly speaking, Org does allow spaced in link-words, but only for
bracketed [[links]]. Plain links like http: cannot have spaces.

> - Does Org documentation need updated to remove the "Nu Html Checker"?

The documentation example is valid, though we should indeed clarify that
spaces are only allowed in bracketed links.

> Alternatively, if Org allows spaces in link-words, then I wonder
>
> - How to define a link-word with spaces using #+link?

AFAIK, you cannot. The #+LINK keywords are matched against

We may allow something like
#+LINK: "this is a link with spaces" http://replacement

Patches are welcome!

--