Secrets in org-babel

From: Felix Dorner
Subject: Secrets in org-babel
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 20:25:11 +0200

New org user, fascinated by org-babel, but stumbled over something I have no good solution for: I have mostly shell blocks, and very often have to retrieve secrets from aws secretsmanager before I can do anything useful, e.g. query a database in several places. What I've been doing is to put the secret retrieval into a named block and can then inject the secret into other blocks with a parameter that calls that block. But then, the secret value is also echoed to the messages buffer, which I'd like to avoid? I'd also like to avoid repeating the secrets-retrieval code all over the place.
Thanks for any tips.

Felix

--
Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.