Re: Support for tagging (special) blocks

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Support for tagging (special) blocks
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 21:11:16 +0800

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>  > They do not. Tags are only considered inside headlines. Trying to allow
>  > tags outside headlines will require major changes across the whole Org
>  > codebase and will still make things incompatible with third party
>  > packages, like org-ql. Not to mention the whole new concept for block
>  > syntax.
>
> Tags on block do not need to have the same support as headlines tags.
> I'm not suggesting they should interact with the agenda or whatnot.
> Support could be behind a user option, and consist only of say easy
> tag edition, and `#+exclude_tags:` support. With that scope, the
> implementation should be fairly simple. As for third party packages,
> it is up to them whether to extend their features to tagged blocks ;
> in some case it might not make sense.

We already have ":exports none" header argument.

>  > If one wants to add "tags" or other keywords associated with blocks or
>  > other Org elements, the right tool to use is affiliated keywords. But
>  > note that Org search infrastructure is tailored towards searching
>  > headlines.
>
> Two inconvenients with using affiliated keywords.
>   1. There would be no uniform treatment with headline tags. In my use,
>      I have the same tags on headline and blocks, and I filter the
>      export according to them with #+exclude_tags.

Affiliated keywords are indeed not uniform with headlines. But they are
uniform with everything else. Paragraphs can have affiliated keywords.
Or other blocks. Or lists. Or tables...

>   2. They waste too much space. Say I have some 20 short exercices
>      (represented by special blocks). Since I dot not display the
>      #+end_ line, each of them takes 2 or 3 lines in my screen. If I
>      want to tag those using affiliated keywords that makes for a 50%
>      or 33% size increase, with very poor readability.

> On a slightly related note, I find it quite unfortunate that one
> presently cannot make use of the #+begin_ line of special blocks to
> set some kind of optional title instead of using #+name or
> #+attr_latex. That's a lot of wasted real estate.

Yes, but we do not want to overcomplicate Org syntax. Affiliated
keywords are universal across multiple element types. Adding a
specialized syntax for src blocks will make things complex technically
and create duplicate code.

We can alter the fontification to compact the screen space though. Will
it suffice?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,