Re: Auto-checking dead links in the manual (was: http: links in the manu

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Auto-checking dead links in the manual (was: http: links in the manual)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 22:29:10 +0700

On 22/08/2022 09:46, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Juan Manuel Macías writes:

Maybe, instead of repairing the links manually, we could think of some
code that would do this work periodically, and also check the health of
the links, running a url request on each link and returning a list of
broken links. I don't know if it is possible to do something like that
in Elisp, as I don't have much experience with web and link issues. I
think there are also external tools, like Selenium Web Driver, but my
experience with it is very limited (I use Selenium from time to time
when I want to take a screenshot of a web page).

This is a good idea.

Selenium is probably an overkill since we should better not link JS-only
websites from the manual anyway. What we can do instead is a make target
that will use something like wget.

Patches are welcome!

I hope that selenium is currently overkill, however more sites are starting to use anti-DDOS shields like cloudflare and HTTP client may be banned just because it does not fetch other resources like JS scripts.

I do not have a patch, just an idea: export backend that ignores everything besides link and either send requests from lisp code or generate file for another tool.

#+attr_linklint: ...

may be used to specify regexp that target page is expected to contain. There are some complications like e.g. "info:" links having special code to generate HTML with URL derived from original path. So it may be more robust to parse HTML document (without checking of linked document text).