Re: Volunteering to maintain ob-asymptote.el within Org

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Volunteering to maintain ob-asymptote.el within Org
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 23:04:43 +0700

On 27/07/2022 11:09, Tim Cross wrote:
Ihor Radchenko writes:

ob-asymptote has been moved out of the core after

https://orgmode.org/list/87bl9rq29m.fsf@gnu.org
Subject: Moving some lisp/ob-*.el files to org-contrib - your advice?

So, we are not talking about adding a new library into the core. Rather
about a late voice against moving it out.
Still, I don't think that invalidates any of the points I was
making. The module has not been part of core for over 12 months and this
is the first mention of it. I think we should wait 12 months and see how
the maintenance and development of the module goes. After 12 months, if
there is still interest in moving it into core and if it has sufficient
documentation, examples and unit tests, this can be reviewed.

I suppose, 12 months since removal of the package is not really significant duration for those who use packages from their linux distributions. How many releases have been affected by such change? ubuntu has new elpa-org package, but emacs-27 has an older version. Fedora has emacs-27 as well and unsure concerning a separate org package.

After next 12 month there will be little point to add the package back. It will cause more disturbance for users.

Perhaps Asymptote project is more suitable for ob-asymptote.el, but it seems in this particular case Jarmo more close to Org project that to Asymptote.

I had asymptote in my bookmarks for a long time, but usually I am satisfied with quality of plots that I can achieve in gnuplot or ROOT, so I have never tried asymptote. Frankly speaking, https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-asymptote.html contrived examples do not motivate me.