Re: Bug? org-id-find not finding some IDs

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: Bug? org-id-find not finding some IDs
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 10:35:38 -0700

> Applied onto main via 8f5bf1725.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=8f5bf172556564df89fb16ce8ecec68c5b7f0221

My sincere apologies, but after a bit of testing, I found that my
requested change had some unforeseen consequences, and I don't think
it's a good idea anymore. So, I'd like to request reverting it.

Doing some research, I found the behavior of org-id-update-id-locations,
to not search all the open Org files, was made in this 2019 commit:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=9865e6bd8be65229be4eac4f459f62e47fab2be7

The commit message suggests this change in behavior was
intentional. Only, the docstring of org-id-extra-files wasn't updated to
reflect the new behavior, which was the cause of confusion on my end.

In terms of unforeseen consequences of the new commit: I found it caused
some problems for org-caldav. When making changes, org-caldav copies
entries into a backup file at ~/.emacs.d/org-caldav-backup.org. With the
new commit, it is sometimes finding entries in this backup file instead
of the correct file.

To fix the original problem I was experiencing with org-caldav, I think
it may be better to modify org-caldav, instead of upstream Org-mode. To
that end, I submitted this PR to org-caldav:

https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/pull/250