Re: [FR, DISCUSSION] Re: [:results append] and [:wrap ...] don't play we

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: [FR, DISCUSSION] Re: [:results append] and [:wrap ...] don't play well together
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 15:23:31 -0700

Ihor,

thanks for your e-mail and explanation.

> We may clarify this in the manual.

probably worth doing.  though, trying to describe it succinctly will be
a challenge, i think!

> Another alternative could be treating
> :results append drawer/code/pp/org/latex/html
> differently and putting everything into a single drawer/src/export
> environment like:
>
> #+begin_src R :results append :wrap foo
> Sys.time()
> #+end_src
>
> #3:
>
> #+RESULTS:
> #+begin_foo
> 2021-03-31 05:51:08
> 2021-03-31 05:51:10
> 2021-03-31 05:51:12
> #+end_foo
>
> However, changing the behaviour will be a breaking change, which we do
> not want for the sake of back-compatibility.
>
> Instead, we may introduce something like
> :results append-contents drawer
> that will behave like the above.
>
> Is there a demand to have such a feature?

i suspect that at some point, it would be nice to have org be able to
"understand" how results of previous evaluations are laid out in the
buffer.  whether the need is now, i'm not sure (i can live without it).
(in the documentation you suggest above, it may help to have such an
option to point at; i.e., "if you don't really understand this, but want
something like this, try this option" :)

cheers, Greg