Re: Odd characters in the fast tags selection interface

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Odd characters in the fast tags selection interface
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 10:12:57 +0800

Hanno <hanno@hoowl.se> writes:

> However, I have noticed some oddities with the characters that are being
> associated as keys to the entries in the interface:
>
> - after "a..z" runs out, '{', '|' and '}' are being used which seems
>   reasonable -- but after that, I get '\200' and similar before reaching
>   '©'...

This is indeed true, but what can we do? There are only that many
characters in the keyboard. We may instead start using two-key
combinations for tags beyond #26, similar to org-capture. Patches are
welcome!

> - when defining my own keys, they are not displayed in the top; instead
>   their characters are missing in the 'a'..'z' range leaving more room
>   for odd and very difficult-to-type characters
>
> I am therefore wondering: can I limit the range of characters being
> used? Can I force characters defined in =org-tag-persistent-alist= to be
> shown on top? Is this behavior maybe a bug?

I think that it would make sense to have `org-tag-persistent-alist`
staff being shown on top. Unless there are objections I can merge this
trivial change.

> I attach an org-file that demonstrates the issue when opened with =emacs
> -Q= and after evaluating the included source block.

Thanks! This was very helpful.

Best,
Ihor