Re: commit e22b4eb7 kills formatting & color

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: commit e22b4eb7 kills formatting & color
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 21:57:20 +0800

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>     > Do you have any idea which particular file-local variable is
>     > leading to the breakage?
>
> Well I'm tempted to say all of them because I have local variables in
> files and .dir-locals.el in many locations. But for a start:
>
> # Local Variables:
> # eval: (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
> # eval: (setq org-adapt-indentation t)
> # eval: (set (make-local-variable 'org-hide-emphasis-markers) t)
> # End:

I am unable to see any issues with fontification starting from emacs -Q
and loading a file containing these variables.

> I am obviously missing something because I thought a local variable was
> by definition local to a file or directory and was not used until that
> file was opened. So why put them in effect before they are needed?

They are put into effect after the file is opened, but Org mode is not
yet loaded. The previous default was applying file-locals _after_ Org
mode is loaded and hence there was no way to set, for example,
org-src-fontify-natively or org-enforce-todo-dependencies via file-local
variables.

Best,
Ihor