Re: [BUG] org-mode 9.5.4 with evil-leader leads to endless loop in table

From: Christoph Grabenstein
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-mode 9.5.4 with evil-leader leads to endless loop in table [9.5.4 (9.5.4-g6013cb1 @ /Users/cgrabenstein/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 10:51:49 +0200

Hello Ihor,

thanks for your reply, and thanks for further debugging the issue. I created an issue for evil here: https://github.com/emacs-evil/evil/issues/1642. Feel free to add some more details to my report.

One thing that's still bugging me though is why the table would not hang with the older version of org-mode. As far as I can tell nothing has changed around tables between 9.5.2 and 9.5.4. Do you have any idea what could cause the difference in behaviour?

Thanks again, and best regards

Christoph

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022, 16:55 Ihor Radchenko, <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
Christoph Grabenstein <christoph.grabenstein@gmail.com> writes:

> org-table-insert-row hangs if evil-leader is installed.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. Install org-mode 9.5.4, evil and evil-leader, and enable evil-mode
> and global-evil-leader-mode.
> 2. Open or create an org file that has a table like that:
> ```
> | header | another header |
> ```
> 3. Place your cursor in the header and hit enter (in evil insert mode).
> 4. Emacs hangs in an endless loop, you will have to interrupt with C-g.

Thanks for reporting!

> - I'm not sure if this is an error on org's side or on evil's side. Please
> let me know if I should open a ticket for evil.
> - For more details see my question at the emacs stackexchange:
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/72769/org-mode-tables-slowed-down-by-evil-mode

Thanks for the link. Extra information from the link allowed me to
narrow down the cause. The cause is in evil-mode.

evil-local-mode is run in temporary buffer, which is OK. What is not OK
is that evil-local-mode is altering the match data. It must not happen.
Please report this issue to evil devs.

Best,
Ihor