Re: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of TODO + COMMENT + TODO dependencies +

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of TODO + COMMENT + TODO dependencies + agenda? [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/ignacio/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5/)]
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 21:09:35 +0800

Ignacio Casso <ignaciocasso@hotmail.com> writes:

Sorry for the late reply.

> I'm not sure what is the expected behaviour of the COMMENT keyword for
> TODOs and the agenda, since I only found it in the "Exporting" section
> of the manual, but I find the following behaviour inconsistent:
>
> - Tasks with a COMMENT keyword or under a heading with a COMMENT keyword
>   do not appear in the agenda. I'm not sure if this is a feature or just
>   happens because there is a step involving exporting when the agenda is
>   constructed, but it seems reasonable to me and I use the COMMENT
>   keyword for this sometimes.

Also, code blocks inside COMMENT subtrees are not considered during code
block execution with noweb.

> - Tasks with a COMMENT keyword or under a heading with a COMMENT keyword
>   DO matter when computing dependencies between tasks, when
>   org-enforce-todo-dependencies is 't' or there is a 'ORDERED'
>   property.
>
> These two points seem inconsistent to me, since the first leads me to
> believe that tasks under commented subtrees are as if they did not
> exist, but in the second we see that's not true. Am I interpreting the
> COMMENT keyword wrong?

There is indeed an inconsistency here.

> P.D: Just when I was going to send this I tried to investigate it a
> little bit more to not waste anyone's time, and I found the variable
> 'org-agenda-skip-comment-trees', which defaults to 't'. So now I see that
> if it is set to 'nil' it would not be inconsistent to me anymore, but I
> still think that the default behaviour is inconsistent, or at least
> unintituive for newcomers, and that maybe a corresponding variable like
> 'org-dependencies-skip-comment-trees' might be needed.

This makes sense. The new variable should default to the old behaviour -
we do not want to break existing Org files relying on it.

Patches are welcome!

Best,
Ihor