The fate of ob-asymptote.el

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: The fate of ob-asymptote.el
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 17:55:41 +0300

Greetings.

Org. In my opinion, Asymptote is far too valuable a tool to be excluded
by default.

Long version:

Either me or my system have been sleeping for quite a while, because
just today I woke up to the fact that ob-asymptote.el has been moved out
of Org and into org-contrib. According to org-contrib, this means that

Files in this repository receive little if no maintainance and there is
no guarantee that they are compatible with the Org stable version.

Not only is this a poor situation for me personally, but I also think it
is a bad decision for Org. I have been using the combination of Org and
Asymptote for all my work stuff for a long time now. The combo is simply
_superior_. I do not need to talk about Org, and will focus on Asymptote
only.

Asymptote is a _brilliant__ tool for drawing all sorts of (scientific)
diagrams, be those 2D or 3D (click on menu on left to view different
galleries):

https://asymptote.sourceforge.io/gallery/

Asymptote has been a stable programming language for quite a while:

https://asymptote.sourceforge.io/

It is being actively maintained and upgraded.

If ob-asymptote.el is kept external to Org, future users will have a
much higher threshold to use this combination.

I would like ob-asymptote.el to be brought back. If there is something I
can do to help, I will be glad to do so.

All the best,

Jarmo