[feature] Allow "," decimal point in table cells (was: org-table with di

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [feature] Allow "," decimal point in table cells (was: org-table with different conventions: decimals)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:18:57 +0800

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Org tables use Emacs' calc under the hood by default.
>> AFAIK, calc is unable to use "," as decimal point because it is reserved
>> as a vector separator. Which is why you got the vector addition in your
>> example.
>
> Thanks. I was afraid that the issue was with calc not with org-mode.

Note that you can instead use Elisp formulas. See 3.5.3 Emacs Lisp forms
as formulas. It is more flexible.

Alternatively, we may implement the comma separators as a built-in
feature. Org table formulas already support notations like

| 3,5 | 4,2 | 7 |
#+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;N

or

#+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;E
#+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;L

(see 3.5.2 Formula syntax for Calc)

we may as well implement something like ";Nc" that will interpret cells
as numbers with "," as decimal point separator.

Is there such a demand?

Best,
Ihor