Re: [tip/offtopic] A function to describe the characters of a word at po

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [tip/offtopic] A function to describe the characters of a word at point
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 17:42:08 +0200

On 2022-07-13, at 12:49, Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> wrote:

> Sorry for the slight offtopic.

Not off-topic at all, as far as I'm concerned!  (Though sending this to
help-gnu-emacs might be an even better idea.)  I use `C-u C-x =' pretty
often, so I fully understand why someone might want to code something
like this.  Very nice, thanks for sharing!

You might want to extend it and create a minor mode which would display
data about the current character in the echo area, Eldoc-style, or in
a tooltip when you hover the mouse pointer over a character.  Depending
on what exactly you need, these ideas might be more or less useful, of
course.

Also, since the answer to quite a few org-related issues seems to be
"just insert a zero-width space", making those stand out (like
non-breaking spaces already are) could also be useful.  FWIW, I have
this function in my init.el:

(defun insert-zero-width-space ()
  "Insert Unicode character \"zero-width space\"."
  (interactive)
  (insert "​"))

(of course, the 0-width space is invisible between the quotes).

Best,
mbork

--
Marcin Borkowski