Re: Confused about source code blocks evaluation when exporting

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Confused about source code blocks evaluation when exporting
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 23:13:49 +0200

Fraga, Eric writes on Tue 12 Jul 2022 14:08:

 > On Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 14:53, Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr wrote:
 > > So far so good.  (Well almost: why does '#+RESULTS:' show 'bar' and
 > > not 'foo'?  After all, I'm just setting 'my-var', I'm not asking to
 > > display its value.  But that's incidental.)
 >
 > It's not incidental.  By default, the results of a src block evaluation
 > is the value of the src block which is typically the value returned by
 > the last statement.

I guess I didn't use 'incidental' correctly.  I meant it as "not my
main concern".  Anyway, thank you; I could check that if I switch the
2 lines I indeed get '#+RESULTS:' to show foo'.

Greg Minshall writes on Tue 12 Jul 2022 17:22:

 > maybe look in the org manual for ":results" (with "value" or
 > "output" as options) and ":exports" (with "code" or "results" or
 > "both" as options).

Thank you both, I made progress; but the behavior is still very so
unintuitive to me.  For example, I haven't found a way to have this
block:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp <arguments to be determined>
  (message "foo")
  (message "bar")
#+END_SRC

and have the following inserted during export:

#+RESULTS:
: foo
: bar

(after all, that is was goes into the *Messages* buffer upon
evaluation with 'C-c C-c'...)

Finally I still tend to consider that the sentence "Org evaluates
source code blocks in an Org file during export" is confusing.  But
maybe that's just I who interpret this as "code evaluation is the
default behavior upon export".

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr