Re: Org mode escape characters

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Org mode escape characters
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 23:22:32 +0700

On 11/07/2022 09:36, David Boss wrote:
I generally run in Fundamental mode. Since ASCII is really only a 7-bit code, I use the high bit to indicate italics.
I want to be able to copy an emacs buffer, with some characters having italic mode set, and paste that into an email compose buffer, and have the italics set in the email buffer; this should work, but it doesn't, who knows, who cares, why not. But if I copy/paste a .odt file, with italicized characters, the italics show up as intended, in the email buffer.

You did not provided any detail which email client and which OS you are using. I do not know how it is implemented on Windows, but on Linux applications declares several MIME types for selection: UTF8_STRING, text/html, etc. Applications that can insert formatted text use HTML, pure text application query plain text. To inspect available types the following command may be used:

    xclip -target TARGETS -out -selection CLIPBOARD

AFAIK emacs can not provide several types for selection content and xclip does not have such feature as well. When you are sure that namely formatted text is required, you can try to feed markup to xclip -target text/html.

I do not think that Org is appropriate tool for your purpose, escaping is tricky, zero-width spaces when used in such case should be removed from the target document. Constructing org-element AST directly may be more reliable.

Within Emacs yank-handler text property may help to copy text from your specific encoding to other buffers.