Re: Org mode export accessibility

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode export accessibility
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 12:33:39 +0800

briangpowell <briangpowellms@gmail.com> writes:

> Suggest OrgMode outputs focus on creating "Lowest Common Denominator"
> documents as output:
> TeXinfo docs should be used as the LCD doctype--suggest you focus on
> creating 1 document in Texinfo that you use to create all other sorts of
> documents, when possible:
>
> Pipeline should be more like
> OrgMode->Texinfo->TROFF||DTD/XML/HTML/XHTML->LaTeX/TeX->DVI||SVG->PS->PDF
>
> * TeXinfo: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/texinfo
> https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo

I do not think that using Texinfo as intermediate format is useful.
Texinfo does not support many of the available Org syntax structures
like, for example, backend-specific export blocks. We will inevitably
lose some document structure information when exporting to Texinfo.
Please remember that Texinfo is by no means a generic export engine - it
is tailored to produce software documentation specifically and may not
be suitable for more generic authored documents.

Note that we already have a much more feature-full export functionality.
RMS even suggested that Org might be used as a replacement for Texinfo:
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/E1nzQh5-0001OB-22@fencepost.gnu.org

Best,
Ihor