Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: Max Brieiev
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 15:18:01 +0300

Hi Robert,

Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org> writes:

> Oantolin no doubt can speak to Embark much better but my present
> understanding is that it is a toolkit package for generating contextual
> popup or completion menus with a few standard context menus included.
>
> Hyperbole is a much broader personal information management
> environment, one part of which is to turn every common type of
> cross-reference found in buffers from programming identifiers to
> page links into immediately useable hyperlinks with no effort
> or markup on your part (implicit buttons).

I struggle to understand the core difference between Embark and
Hyperbole.

In terms of Embark, the context around point is called /target/. So if
the target is a filename, then the default action is to visit the
file. If the default action is not what you want, then Embark can
present you with a context menu - you can choose amongst the actions
that can be executed on the file, like deleting it or locating it in a
dired buffer.

In terms of Hyperbole, the contextual information is called /implicit
button/. Pressing M-RET on it sounds very much the same as executing
the default action in terms of Embark.

Embark defines the following targets: file, symbol, URL, s-expression,
defun, etc. It seems it is conceptually the same as implicit buttons in
Hyperbole. Is this correct?