Re: [more absurd]

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [more absurd]
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:16:14 +0200

On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 09:42:01AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]

> That is the first time I remember that on this list, questions of the
> foundation of mathematics are discussed 😉

Such things happen :)

> Back to the point, maybe I am too conservative, but I would include 0
> within the natural numbers,

If you really were, you wouldn't. Peano himself didn't ;-)

> and the example I started with, needs to
> cover that case (student marks range between 0 to 10 both included), so
> sorting should work (for me) in that case.

See? I went to school in Spain, so I know about that 0..10 scale.
But then I went to school in Germany, so I also know about the
6..1 scale. Go figure :)

> I don't see, so far any benefit for not considering 0 in that sorting
> process.

But your concrete problem isn't a sorting process at all, just a
conversion process: empty space gets translated to zero. As someone
else found out in this thread.

Cheers