Re: [BUG] Inline src blocks do not work for LaTeX [9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Inline src blocks do not work for LaTeX [9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-3-g6dc785 @ /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 19:43:50 +0800

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> the documentation at
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-of-Code-Blocks.html
>
> says
>
> "Org offers two ways to structure source code in Org documents: in a
> source code block, and directly inline. Both specifications are shown
> below."
>
> and
>
> "An inline code block conforms to this structure: src_<language>{<body>}
>
> So, I write
>
>> For instance, src_latex{a \qqtext{with} b} renders as "$a
>> \qqtext{with} b$".
>
> I expect syntax-highlighted "a \qqtext{with} b" followed by the rendered
> version.  Both in HTML and LaTeX export, I do not see the former.
>
> Have I stumbled upon a bug, or do I not understand the syntax?
>
> P.S.  When I change "latex" to, for example, "bash", the in-line source
> block appears, albeit incorrectly highlighted.

This is not a bug, but a misunderstanding + undocumented default.
Src blocks, including inline src blocks, can be exported as code,
results of evaluation, and both. (this is likely your misunderstanding)
By default, unlike ordinary src blocks, inline src blocks are only
exported as results - code is not exported, only the result is exported.
(undocumented default).
Further, because Org is not always able to evaluate src blocks (when the
relevant ob-*.el is not loaded), inline src blocks can sometimes be
exported as code. This is likely what happens when you change the blocks
type to bash (I guess).

The inline src block defaults should probably be documented. See
https://orgmode.org/list/87ee927emf.fsf@localhost
Patches are welcome.

The confusing behavior about exporting results for code blocks when the
corresponding ob-*.el is not loaded is trickier. We had a related
discussion on this topic in
https://orgmode.org/list/87mtknsdhm.fsf@localhost
Though I am not sure how we can improve the situation. Ideas are
welcome.

Best,
Ihor