Re: Org links and Flatpak firefox

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Org links and Flatpak firefox
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 10:46:39 +0700

On 02/07/2022 23:03, Ken Mankoff wrote:

I've just upgraded to Kubuntu 22.04. Firefox is no longer instsallable via apt so I chose flatpak over snap. Now when I C-c C-o (org-open-at-point) on a URL, Firefox comes to the foreground, but nothing else happens. The page does not load. If I 'xdg-open URL' then the URL loads, so the system outside of emacs does interact correctly with the flatpak app.

Please, seek for various messages reported during this action:
- Emacs *Messages* buffer (C-h C-e)
- Firefox console (Ctrl+Shift+J)
- stderr of the Firefox process, unsure where it can be expected for flatpak apps: terminal application from which Firefox was initially started, output of "journalctl --user", in earlier days X11 errors may be saved to ~/.xsession-errors
- flatpak may have its own log file.

It is rather strange that Firefox receives some event, xdg-open works in isolation, but not from Emacs. What does happen when
- `browse-url' is called from Emacs,
- a link is activated in an Org document when Firefox application is closed?

Notice that you did not specify which versions of Emacs and Org you have installed (M-x org-version), and the source of the package: bundled with emacs, elpa-org deb package, Emacs ELPA package, etc.