Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 06:45:49 -1000

Thomas Dye <tsd@tsdye.online> writes:

Aloha Ihor,

If you like, please send a mailing address privately. I’ll happily contribute to support your good work on Org mode.

Thanks for the offer!
I afraid that sending a check to me specifically is not a good idea,
especially from a person based in USA.

I know little about depositing received checks, so I had to search through my bank website in China (I have no access to my non-Chinese bank branches here). The result is disappointing. They charge close to
200USD [1] for collecting checks.

As you can see, there is little point sending me checks.

Probably, USA->China is a bit extreme case, but, as I can see, bank fees are not uncommon for checks. Thus, small donations are likely impossible via check. Now, I feel like even the available free donation options are not really suitable in practice for reasons unrelated to free software.

Yes, your Chinese bank charges exorbitant fees for cashing US checks. That won't work.

It seems odd that our embrace of software freedom should keep us from collaborating as fully as we'd like.

Keep up the good work in any case!

All the best,
Tom

--