Re: [External] : Re: how to investigate? org-element-cache Unregistered

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: how to investigate? org-element-cache Unregistered buffer modifications detected
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:56:23 +0800

Daniel Ortmann <daniel.ortmann@oracle.com> writes:

> ... I rebuild at least once per day.
> My current org-mode version is:
> Org mode version 9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-596-gaa5bc2 @
> /home/dortmann/src/git-org-mode/lisp/)
>
> A bit more information may help?
>
>   * 1.2MB org-mode file
>   * received a stubborn parse error after today's build; could not load
>     my org file; the file location looked fine
>   * partitioned the large file into smaller files
>   * ... was able to load each of those smaller files
>   * afterwards, without any changes, I was able to load the full file
>     without the 'parse error'

That was related to another bug that was introduced in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f77800c68b69f770886b9c103a101550ec530896
and then fixed in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=d788fe99272d3563ff88e872bf337b8c198c7c7d

I now pushed another change that will prevent loading the broken
persisted cache.

>   * ... but once again received that org-element-cache warning
>   * Now, after a fresh pull of code and a rebuild, NONE of the errors or
>     warnings occur.

> Everything is clean now.
>
> Could loading those smaller files have cleaned or updated the cache?  Or
> was it your code updates?

Every time you get parser error, the cache should be cleared. So, you
likely did clear the cache somewhere in the process.

In any case,
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=eb796ae4326faf246b1b1a382a0a6a372f28c9e4
should fix most of the "unregistered buffer modifications" warnings.
It will only show up in really serious cases.

Best,
Ihor