Implementing ox-beamer property support in ox-latex.

From: bob
Subject: Implementing ox-beamer property support in ox-latex.
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 14:14:12 +0200 (CEST)

Dear list,

I recently fell in love with the properties support provided by ox-beamer.
Especially in combination with an appropriate column view, this feature allows you to create complex presentations and maintain a good overview of all slides, layouts and possible transitions.

Today I attempted to implement similar behaviour for ox-latex, with moderate success.

The problem that I encountered was that you can't easily "close" environments.
The example below shows what I mean:

* First section
** First subsection
Some text before the definition.
*** Definition 1
:PROPERTIES:
:LATEX_ENV: definition
:END:
This is a definition
*** This title is ignored and very ugly
:PROPERTIES:
:LATEX_ENV: empty
:END:
Some text behind the definition.
** Subsection
This is a new subsection.

Expands to:
\begin{document}
\section{First section}
\subsection{First subsection}
Some text before the definition.
\begin{definition}[Definition 1]
This is a definition
\end{definition}
Some text behind the definition.
\subsection{Subsection}
This is a new subsection.
\end{document}

In order to indicate that the body of definition 1 has endend, I needed to create an empty block which is ignored by the exporter.

Is there an elegant way to solve this problem and to "close" a heading?
Maybe in the form of an alternative carriage return character or a multiple line breaks?

Kind regards,
Bob