Re: Orgmode plain list bullet : change automatically with list depth

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Orgmode plain list bullet : change automatically with list depth
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 16:27:01 -0700

sure.

iiuc i think op wants 2 things:

  1] graphical bullets.  i.e. not the - + etc. that are in the org
plain text as saved to disk.
  2] each level of a list to have the same bullet style

examples of 2]:

a conforming list:

- this is level 1.  for this list, we always want level 1 to
  use the - bullet style in the org plain text.
  + this is level 2.  for this list, we always want level 2
    to use the + bullet style in the org plain text.
  + another level 2
- another level 1
  + another level 2
  + the + is CONSISTENT with the + in the level 2 of the
    previous list item

a non-conforming list:

- this is level 1.  for this list, we always want level 1 to
  use the - bullet style in the org plain text.
  + this is level 2.  for this list, we always want level 2
    to use the + bullet style in the org plain text.
  + another level 2
- another level 1
  * another level 2
  * these * markers are INCONSISTENT with the + markers in
    the level 2 previous list item.

the idea is for org [as opposed to fontification] to enforce this
level correspondence.  whenever we do a bullet style change at any
level, org could change ALL BULLETS AT THE SAME LEVEL.  this keeps the
list conforming.

currently, org does not do this.  instead, it allows you to
say that /demotion/ makes a + when you have a -.  but
without enforcement, the list can quickly become
non-conforming after the user edits it.

this idea is independent (orthogonal) to fontification /
displayed graphical glyph.  i think op's 2] idea can make
sense.  and then fontification / displayed graphical glyph
can be done perhaps with a fontification package.

in any case, fontification can merely say that + looks
like 😺 or so.  orthogonal to levels.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com