Re: Agenda view sorting based on custom property

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Agenda view sorting based on custom property
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 19:50:24 +0800

Haakon HR <haakonhr@gmail.com> writes:

> I have tried a few approaches but I'm a bit stuck. My first approach was
> to use the variable `org-agenda-cmp-user-defined' and implement a
> comparison function based on the already existing ones like
> `org-cmp-alpha' or `org-cmp-effort'. However, I'm not able to extract
> the custom property from the kind of entry that is passed into the
> comparison function, which seem to rely on `text-properties'. Is it
> possible to somehow make custom properties available as a text property,
> similar to things like 'todo-state, 'tags and so on?

Yes. What you are looking for is 'org-hd-marker property. It holds
marker to the position of the corresponding headline.

Once you know the marker, you can simply

(org-entry-get marker "CUSTOM")

It does not matter that current buffer is not the Org buffer. Marker
contains buffer information.

Best,
Ihor