Re: About 'inline special blocks'

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: About 'inline special blocks'
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 14:28:33 +0800

> Vestibulum convallis, lorem blockname_[<<name>>]{text} a tempus semper, dui
> dui euismod elit, vitae placerat urna tortor vitae lacus.

This thread is possible relevant to the ongoing emacs-devel discussion
where RMS requested support/integration of Org and texinfo.

Richard Stallman wrote:
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/E1o1cEe-0006Cj-CT@fencepost.gnu.org

> I don't know for certain that every possible nesting "does the right
> thing".  I do know that @var{} is used inside many other constructs.
> By contrast, @dfn{} would not be nested inside or around other
> contructs very much.  @key can be nested inside @kbd, and it behaves
> a little differently when nested.

He mentioned an important point that could make the idea of inline
special blocks more appealing.

While arbitrary markup can indeed be introduced using our current link
syntax, there is one important limitation of links:

 *** link description cannot contain other links ***

If one seriously tries to extend Org syntax with custom markup elements,
nested markup will not be possible. And we do not want to change Org
links to allow other links inside.

Inline special blocks may not have such limitation if we allow special
blocks to be nested.

Best,
Ihor