Re: [DISCUSSION] Refactoring fontification system

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Refactoring fontification system
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:08:27 +0700

On 08/06/2022 09:02, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Can you (and other interested users) try the following value of
org-script-display and let me know if it looks acceptable:

(defconst org-script-display  '(;; The values are tweaked to not change
                                 ;; the line height.
                                 ((raise -0.1)  (height 0.7))
                                ((raise 0.25)  (height 0.7))

I do not mind. High symbols like "(|)" cross middle line a bit, but since it is not TeX and superscript can not be above subscript it should not cause any problem with overlapping.

                                 ;; Alternative properties for tables.
                                 ;; FIXME: We cannot change the text
                                 ;; height because it will alter the
                                 ;; symbol width and thus break the
                                 ;; table alignment (at least, until
                                 ;; org table are aligned via pixel
                                 ;; width).
                                ((raise -0.5))
                                ((raise 0.5)))

The issue with increased vertical space between vertical bars might be alleviated a bit by using e.g. 0.35 instead of 0.5. I hope, subscripts and superscripts are still distinguishable.

     However, it currently uses x1.5 line height for tables creating empty
     space between vertical | separators. It looks like a typo for me. It
     would make more sense to make table lines compact, not vice versa. Am
     I missing something?

git blame gives 0618aeafb39dbf78e753348eaeaddbb7f8104cd0
It seems smaller font breaks horizontal alignment in tables.

Thanks! Now it is crystal clear what was the reason behind the different
fontification inside/outside the tables. I will add the explanation to
comments.