Re: [BUG] worg-setup.org is outdated (was: [accessibility] worg obscures

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [BUG] worg-setup.org is outdated (was: [accessibility] worg obscures text)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:44:38 +1000

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Patches are welcome! We just need someone with knowledge of html/css to
>>> jump in and create a patch for https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/worg (BTW, also
>>> see shiny new https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/).
>>>

>> Sadly, it isn't that simple. You also have to understand how worg does
>> the publishing and that isn't easy. I just looked at the repository
>>
>> - The .emacs.el file referenced in the worg-setup.org is not available
>> (404 error)
>
> Sorry. worg-setup.org is outdated. Bastien, could you update it?
>
> The publishing is done using
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/worg/tree/master/item/publish.sh
> In the nutshell, it just iterates over .org files and runs html export.
>
>> - The styles directory consists of a number of css files - not clear
>>   which one is used. (I'm guessing the .emacs.el file might tell me such
>>   details).
>
> The default is /worg/style/worg.css
> Alternatives are worg-zenburn.css and worg-classic.css. See the above
> link.
>
>> - You also need to know about org publish and how it works, not just be
>>   familiar wiht html and css.
>
> Most likely, the problem is in the css files. worg.css has
>
> /* TOC inspired by http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script */
>     #table-of-contents {
>       z-index: 1;

Yes, that does help.

Unfortunately, I suspect it isn't a simple 'tweak' to the css to fix
this. The setting of z-index is the root cause of the issue. That
approach simply won't work in an accessible manner. Therefore, a whole
change to the presentation style is likely going to be necessary.

A 'refresh' of the look probably isn't a bad thing. However, getting it
right and consistent is likely non-trivial. Not sure if my css skills
are up to it, but willing to have a look at it anyway.