Re: Custom TODO keywords and org-enforce-todo-dependencies

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Custom TODO keywords and org-enforce-todo-dependencies
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 16:13:59 +0800

Edmund Potts <edmundpotts@googlemail.com> writes:

> I have read the manual and searched the list archives but not found an
> answer to this - so apologies if it was in fact covered somewhere.
>
> I make use of the variable org-enforce-todo-dependencies along with the
> :ORDERED: property to have sequentially limited TODO lists.
>
> However I found when experimenting with custom TODO keywords that once they
> were enabled, the blocking functionality did not work. I was able to change
> any of my TODO headers to "DONE", regardless of the state of the TODO item
> immediately preceding them.
>
> Is there a way these two functions can work together? I would appreciate
> any guidance.

Sorry for the late reply. Hope it is still relevant.

ORDERED + org-enforce-todo-depenencies should work with custom TODO
keywords as long as you properly define which keywords mean that a task
is 'done and which keywords mean the opposite.

org-todo-keywords:

Each sequence starts with a symbol, either sequence or type,
indicating if the keywords should be interpreted as a sequence of
action steps, or as different types of TODO items.  The first
keywords are states requiring action - these states will select a headline
for inclusion into the global TODO list Org produces.  If one of the
"keywords" is the vertical bar, "|", the remaining keywords
signify that no further action is necessary.  If "|" is not found,
the last keyword is treated as the only DONE state of the sequence.

Best,
Ihor