Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 12:00:41 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> I think I totally get where your coming from and I agree with all
> points. However, I don't quite get exactly what Arthur is proposing at a
> concrete level.
>
> Overall, I guess my main concern is that this is one of those areas
> where it looks deceptively easy to improve and it is only once you get
> down into the weeds and start to see all the competing perspectives, you
> realise how much more complicated it actually is.

You may or may not be right. It is not important in this case.

We can just let Arthur try and help him in the process.

If he manages to go through all the obstacles and develop something
equivalent to our existing menus (no need for anything more powerful or
"generic"), we can use it.

Let's not discourage him by imaginary difficulties, which may or may not
appear.

At the end, our existing menu code combined is not even that large. So,
developing equivalent should not be prohibitively hard. (I am not
talking about full-fledged menu library here. Arthur clearly stated that
it is not his intention).

Best,
Ihor