Re: Folded headlines with text showing where it shouldn't

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Folded headlines with text showing where it shouldn't
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 14:30:49 +0800

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

>> For me, this looks like either a mixed installation (please post the
>> output of M-x org-version) or some third-party package misbehaving.
>
> M-x org-version says:
>
> Org mode version 9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-511-g8e69ad @
> /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/)

Is /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/ the folder where you installed the
latest Org version? (If not, this is likely the problem or part of the
problem).

>> Can you try to open that file from emacs -Q? See
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html
>
> It's not just that file, it's been happening recently with almost all my Org
> files, now and then.  I'll try with -Q and work on a file for a while and see
> if
> I can recreate the problem.

Does it happen with a specific link type? All the links?

For context, your problem is certainly not reproducible on my side, so
it is likely something about your installation/packages.

> Is there anything from all your excellent folding work that would let me
> check
> some value or variable that would be helpful when I see such a problem?  Some
> way of inspecting the state of something that might be useful?

Usually, the problem you are seeing is when something is interfering
with 'invisible text property of links/other folded text.

Can you post the value of org-link-parameters on your system?

You may also put the cursor onto unexpectedly visible link and check the
output of M-x describe-text-properties. Then, put the cursor right after
the link and run M-x describe-text-properties again. Then, share the
output.

If you don't have time to dig into the problem, you can also set
org-fold-core-style to 'overlays in your config to activate legacy
folding support. It will most likely solve the immediate issue on your
side and let you work on more pressing things involving your Org
workflow.

Best,
Ihor